One of the company's activities is the development of special applications based on 3D modeling with the use of virtual and augmented reality technologies. These applications can be used in various industries for the following purposes:
- effective training of personnel to work with equipment and technological units in the virtual reality environment;
- support of personnel in augmented reality environment at:- mounting/removal, assembly/disassembly of equipment;
- performance of equipment maintenance or repair works in the mode of augmented reality.
In addition, the company is also involved in development of solutions in the field of 3D scanning of objects. Such solutions can be efficiently applied to different tasks, for example:
- creation of catalogues of digital 3D models of parts, components, units;
- creation of 3D models of equipment, technological lines or the whole industrial facilities;
- control of work performance at construction of buildings, structures, infrastructure facilities (comparison the actual scanned 3D-model with the projected one).
The application allows to consider step by step from different perspectives the whole sequence of assembly and disassembly of a pump unit in the virtual reality environment and to receive all necessary technical information on each detail, etc.
The application developed to support the process of assembly of power- and cross-cabinets in augmented reality environment.
The application features the following functions:
- Provision of holographic instructions for each step of cabinet’s assembly – the system points exact place of installation of each particular element in the cabinet;
- Calculation of optimal routs of wiring inside the cabinets, provision of data required for optimal cutting of wires;
- Provision of holographic instructions for connecting all the wires in the cabinet;
- Final control of each assembly step in accordance with the applicable rules;
- 3D scanning of different parts/elements to create 3D-catalogues which will be used in different VR and AR applications;
- Scanning of rooms of Nuclear Power Plant with time limits for personnel to work inside those rooms caused by harmful environment. The scanned 3D models of rooms allow engineers to plan all the works in virtual reality mode and later to perform those works at site within much shorter period of time;
- Development of application to control actual progress of earthworks within the scope of both industrial facility construction and road construction projects;
The use of VR-technologies for personnel training on how to work with equipment is the most advanced and effective way of training. Detailed 3D models of equipment and various scenarios describing technological processes make it possible to create a complete emulation of personnel interaction with equipment process, quickly master all training programs and evaluate the knowledge gained. With regard to the above mentioned, these solutions are more convenient in use, as they make it possible to conduct distance learning. High economic efficiency of such solutions is determined by the flexibility of the systems, the possibility of adding / changing scenarios, a shorter period of training, and also by the fact that there is no need to create such simulators "in hardware".
A 3D model of the pumping station can be considered as an example of application of virtual reality technologies. This model contains the basic functions that allow usage of similar applications for personnel training:
Usage of AR-applications to support technical specialists performing routine maintenance or repair of equipment:
1. Reduction of time required for maintenance and repair due to:
A) System prompts on the location of the maintenance / repair facility (location within the workshop / production line), as well as through accurate follow-up of the optimized workflow by the maintenance staff in accordance with the instructions generated by the AR system.
B) The fact that there is no need to reconcile with paper instructions, diagrams, drawings and other technical documentation - all necessary instructions and documents the user receives directly from the AR-system online.
C) The ability to read data about the operation of equipment in the AR-environment directly from sensors installed on the equipment.
- acceleration of the maintenance / repair process and, as a consequence, reduction of equipment / processing line downtime;
- reduction of man-hours required for maintenance / repair.
2. Significant reduction of the risks related to incorrect and / or substandard work performance due to:
А) Minimization of the human factor's influence on the planning and execution of works - all instructions issued by the system are based on data from operating and repair manuals. All instructions are simple and descriptive – additional visualization capabilities make it easier for the operator to understand the required actions.
B) Possibility of automatic control by AR-system of accuracy / quality of respective works carried out by personnel (for example, the possibility of automatic control of the bolt tightening force, control of the correct switching of electrical wiring, etc.)
C) Possibility to automatically record data for the archive about all the works conducted for prompt access to this data in the future.
D) Opportunity to arrange video communication with technical support center to obtain, if necessary, additional information / advice on issues related to carried out works.
E) Reduction of the risks related to non-compliance with safety regulations during work.
Economic efficiency: - minimization of risks of financial losses resulting from improper performance of maintenance / repair work. It is a matter of substantial sums, because mistakes in maintenance and repair can not only disable a separate unit, but also lead to a halt in the entire production line, which is fraught with additional financial losses. Moreover, it provides a higher level of compliance with safety requirements, which also reduces the risk of unforeseen situations.